My New Site

Will be transferring my blogs to this site. In the midst of transferring and upgrading.

Saturday, June 21, 2008

The Extreme...

It's time for me to do a proper update yah, and after that catch up on my frens' blog. Been a long time since I have sat down and really read thru the days of their lives.

So... I was called to help out at a camp (what I used to do a lot, many years back) coz I think they do not have enough facis. Since I haven't been doing that and I thought it would be nice to have a change of routine (plus I couldn't say no), I thought, what the heck, let's do it. I super-pack my schedule for Monday and Tuesday just so that I could be away for Wednesday and Thursday. With the briefing on Tuesday night itself, I had to stay the night at Guthrie. After my last appointment which ended around 10pm, I rushed down. On the way, I suddenly got to thinking, it was mentioned that there would be cycling and dragon-boating, what if I am not up to it anymore. Seriously, it has been a long while since I did these stuff. Last I remembered going for such adventure camps was probably 6-7yrs back man. Time tu masih fit! Hah! Anyway, that was my fear. Upon reaching Guthrie, we were briefed on the itinerary and I also found out that it was an 'O' Level students camp, not the normal primary school camps that I am used to facilitating. Wokay... I found out - no sleep, packed with walking, cycling, dragonboating, paintball all the way. We then had to go take a look at some of the places that the kids have to go to during the "scavenger hunt". Another fear, it's all in the East, and I know nuts about the walking/cycling routes in that area. Sheeesh. Briefing ended around 5am, I had 1.5hr of sleep before being waken up by the sound of the door. The participants were reporting at 8am.

8.30am - briefing and dividing the kids (actually they are no longer kids lah, but easier to call them that) into groups. The first clue was given, and we made our way there (The Dragonboat Association). Had some team-building actitives, those usual stuff. The boys in my group decided to name ours TJR for reasons I shall not divulge here. After zohor, we had to wait for the rain and lightning to start before being able to dragonboat. All of us were wet and cold and had to squeeze under a narrow shelter. Dragonboat-ing was fun, only I still prefer canoeing/kayaking coz I find that it takes lesser for 2 people to coordinate and synchronise, but then again that's why they pick dragonboat as one of their activities. After the whole thing, with us still semi-wet, we had to start on our "scavenger hunt", which involves walking from Kallang areas, to Kg Arang areas, to Parkway, and East Coast. These kids are good with their direction. I just had to follow them all the way, and perhaps just to remind them to wait up for the slower ones. In fact, I am proud to say that for the hunt itself, and we were the first group almost all the way, until one of the participant slipped and hurt her back and we had to slow down. But the girl didnt give up and still pushed on, even though I can see that it is painful for her, even after I told her that I can call the safety van to pick her up. And the others did not scold her for causing the slowdown. Very commendable.

Had dinner which they had to cook themselves - maggie with eggs and crabstick, afterwhich it was skit session. So far so good. Not tired yet. Cycling started after midnight. There were 12 checkpoints and we were supposed to be done by 6am. First checkpoint - Cafhi Jetty. I haven't even heard of that before. It'a apparently near Changi Fery Terminal. So Changi here we come! I tell you, it was a damn long cycle down to Changi. Luckily I didn't wear a watch coz then I would be keeping tabs of the timing and that would make it feel even longer. Especially on that long Changi Coast Road, beside the runway, it's never-ending! Not so bad though coz it was a smooth and straight road. We were the first group for the first few checkpoints. First checkpoint was tug-of-war, and they won the first 2 rounds. Woohoo, well done! That means, off we go to the next checkpoint further down Changi Beach, and then the Old Changi Hospital (where another group caught up with us coz we took the longer route), Loyang Ave and Pasir Ris Park Swamp Area. During the cycling, there was this girl who wasn't as strong a cyclist as the rest but I admired her perseverence in not giving up. I was too tired to think of it then, and I checked with her occasionally whether she's ok to continue and all the time she said ok, but it was hard for her, especially going uphills. She had to stop and push her bike, and the rest had to wait for her after I shouted from far to stop. At first the guys did mention casually that they didn't like to wait. The thing is after I explained to them the reason, they automatically stopped when they realised that the rest were lagging. One of the boys even explained to her how to adjust the gears so that it would be easier to cycle. By the time we reached Pasir Ris Park, we had been cycling for like 3hrs plus. The kids were tired, so was I man. While they did their activity at that checkpoint I managed to powernap. We still had 7 more checkpoints! Then we received the news that the other 7checkpoints were cancelled, BUT we still have to cycle back to East Coast. With our butts hurting (I speak for all of them), it was dreadful to get on the bikes, seriously. And my problem knee was beginning to show color. The boys wanted to go by a short-cut way through Tampines, Bedok via the main roads. I had no problems following them coz I believe they know the way, and at that point in time, I am sure their first thought would be to get back to the campsite asap, so they wouldn't risk getting lost. I am amazed at how well they knew their way around. The cycle back wasn't that smooth though, having to go thru main roads, uphills and downhills, traffic and all. I was so close to giving up man, but I kept pushing, if they can do it, why can't I? I tell you, my butt and legs hurt like mad, no matter how I adjust my seating position. And I couldn't even cycle straight anymore, my brain wasn't functioning properly. But this is where the power of responsibility and "what's the word-shit, isit..." aiyah, coz these kids were my responsibility and also I had to take care of them and ensure that they get there safely, I pushed on with them. I had half the mind to "fall out". This is where mind over matter takes place. Even when I am that tired, I managed to tell them to watch out for traffic, even when my eyes are being forced to stay open, I watched out for that girl (and she pushed herself all the way without any complaints) and pushed her on, even when I am at the point that I felt like just bothering about myself, I thought of the kids. I am proud of these kids, and at the same time, they allowed me to be proud of myself. We reached EC around 7am. The kids had some rest-time while waiting for the other team to reach. I had my powernap. Paintball filled up the whole late morning to afternoon. The kids had fun even though they were already super tired. Camp ended around 4.30pm.

I had facilitated and attended many camps, and usually in the camps, there was emphasis on teambuilding, communication, endurance, perseverance but I believe that it was during this camp that I got the most. Perhaps because the other camps I was too young to think deeply about such things, or at times it involved younger groups and thus, we as facis were not really pushed as we couldn't push the kids too much.

This entry is a tad too long but I want to let out what I went thru and what I have gotten thru it all.

No comments: